Sunday 4 August 2013

Welcome to Jersey Moths


Hello and welcome to the Jersey Moths Blog. The purpose of this blog is, initially, to create a record of the moths I trap in my garden. This is located in the south-west corner of Jersey, the largest of the British Channel Islands, and is situated in an area of mixed deciduous woodland, hedgerows and fields less than 1 km from the coast. I currently use a home-made Robinson trap with a 125W mercury vapour lamp. 

As far as I am aware, there are no other on-line resources dedicated to Jersey’s moths. I hope that, in time, other Jersey 'moth-ers' will start to contribute their records to the blog, to make it a more interesting and valuable resource.

I should make it clear that I am a novice moth-er, having started in mid-May 2013, and it’s inevitable that I will make identification errors from time-to-time. I welcome any comments or corrections on any moths depicted in this blog.

Although Jersey shares much of its moth fauna with the southern parts of the United Kingdom, its close proximity to France results in a number of species being recorded in the island which are either extremely rare or unrecorded elsewhere in the British Isles.

This was the second record of The Feline in my garden, a species not yet recorded in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment